Monday, November 12, 2007

Taking Care of Our Veterans

I was reading Sunday's Dallas Morning News today and one of the articles was about the difficulty many vets have in returning to civilian life. Besides suffering from PTSD many are coping with severe injuries. Why is it so difficult for the veterans to get the assistance they are entitled to? One was approved for assistance, but didn't get it for SEVERAL MONTHS because his mailing address wasn't entered into the system. That's flat ridiculous. It should be easy for them to find all the info they need to sign up for whatever services they need and get them. We should be taking care of our vets, particularly the wounded ones, and in many cases we aren't.

Okay, that's my rant. The other thing I wanted to say is that I really appreciated our veteran's service. All of them, not just the ones serving in the current war. I think our democratic system of government is the best in the world, and we wouldn't have it if there hadn't been patriots who were willing to die for what they believed in.

I do wish we had concentrated on Afghanistan and not gone into Iraq. It seems like we are spread mighty thin now.

No comments: