Monday, February 4, 2008

Shopping for hammers

I sent off another application last week and received an acceptance from one show I applied for, Azalea Trails in Tyler, TX. Now if I can get into some of the others I'm applying for I'll be happy.



Over the weekend I took a friend to Canton. If you've never heard of Canton, its a small town that turns into one huge antique/flea market on First Monday weekends. While we were there I shopped for hammers with the intention of texturing some old hammers to use for texturing metal. I bought one antique hammer that is said to be a watch maker's hammer. I like the way the twisted metal handle fits in my hand. I will polish the head, but won't texture it since it looks kind of unusual, and may be an antique. The second hammer is a more common style and probably not that old so I'll try and texture it.




I also found a cool rock I had never seen. It's a natural fiber optic stone. Notice how the writing appears to be on the surface of the stone. It's known as TV rock or ulexite.
I found some Czech glass beads, mostly rondels, that will look good mixed with gemstones.

Sunday I managed to string some pearls with silver and/or crystal. I still have to put the clasps on.

Thursday I started a "long-term" sub job in 8th grade language arts. My degree is in English, so this is right up my alley. I'm not sure how long I'll be doing it, but it could be 6 weeks or more. I just spent the better part of three hours grading papers. I'm going to have to work really hard to get jewelry done during this period.

No comments: