Today we started day one of the Behind Closed Doors--the Locket-Cuff. This was a little harder because I had to saw and solder--two things I don't do much of. I was glad to get the opportunity to learn how to do a hinge.
I etched my metal for the locket and then cut out the frame and locket sections. While the door section was etching I worked on a practice piece. I had a lot of trouble and part of the tube didn't solder well. The practice helped though because the soldering went better on the actual piece.
Here are some photos of where I was at the end of the day.
|Locket in progress|
I think I did more filing than I've ever done. When I finally got my hinges together the two doors overlapped. I filed and filed and finally got them to meet. There is still more filing for tomorrow.
My photo is a little small for the inside of the frame so I altered the frame so the opening is smaller than the template. You can see my soldering was messy. The center panel will be covered up in the finished piece, fortunately.
Part of this class was making some small hammers and bezel pushers. I don't have any pictures of mine because I barely got started with them. We also learned a couple of different ways to transfer the images for etching.
During lunch a couple of us took a little walk and visited a couple of antique stores.
This house--a bridal shop--had a lot of gingerbread and romantic touches.
Tomorrow we set a stone in a bezel on the locket and make and attach a cuff.