Thursday, March 10, 2011

Day Two at Adorn Me Part B: Texas Art Asylum

Road trip! Wednesday after class Bren and I made a little road trip to Texas Art Asylum. I read about it about a week before Adorn Me and was excited about checking it out.

The Texas Art Asylum is a creative reuse center.  If you aren't familiar with what that is (I wasn't) it's basically a recycling center that recycles things for people to make art with.  Isn't that an awesome idea?

It's an incredible place.  There was a whole wall of cigar boxes, some of which I'm now wishing I had brought home with me.  There were lots of baby dolls and baby  doll parts, old jewelry, mysterious parts, tiles, etc., etc., etc.

I was so busy shopping I pretty much completely forgot to take any pictures until we were leaving.  I snapped this shot of some incredible artwork by David Pilgrim.

artwork by David Pilgrim

It lights up and the center cone shaped part rotates when you pull the chain. Pilgrim teaches some classes at the Texas Art Asylum.

Just to give you an idea of what's there here are our finds.

Bren's booty

This is Bren's haul.  That's a  great crystal necklace and a pearl strand with a lot of vintage crystal roundels, among other things.

Leslie's Loot

Here's my loot. I managed to leave my center punch at home so I used this antique one in classes.

more Leslie's loot


These finds add to my vintage and antique photo collection.

We had a great time at the Asylum and I hope to get back there.  Check them out HERE on Facebook.

No comments: