Whatever that debris was, it floated back to the surface and partially masked the surface of the copper. I did stir the etchant when I checked the copper during the process but that wasn't enough.
Here's the sheet I did with text and some fish. This would have been more than one piece after I cut it up. I think the fish will be okay--the spots look kind of like bubbles, but probably only some of the text will be usable. And it may not be usable at all. I'll have to see what it looks like with LOS on it. The sheets look better in person than they do in the photos, fortunately.
These other two pieces will probably be okay, but only because I was planning on cutting in close to the design, so the odd spots will be cut off.
My husband was nice enough to strain the etchant through a coffee filter and get rid of whatever those particles were.
These are just the first of a big batch I need to do. Hopefully the others will be contamination free.
Check out the other Bead Table Wednesday posts: