Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Plexi Class - Instruction and Inspiration


Author Tonia Davenport was at MakerFaire in Austin in October 2007 where I saw her demonstrating her techniques. I've been waiting for this book to come out and I'm really pleased with it.

Plexiglas and Lucite are great materials to work with and this book offers solid instruction in basics. This is a great book for those who want to learn to work with these plastics.

The book is visually pleasing, with a good layout and clear pictures. "Plexi Pointers" provide interesting additional information on alternate techniques or ideas.

Most of the projects involve jewelry or wearable items like hair clips and pins. Those who are beginners at jewelry making won't find instructions here on making loops or attaching findings, but you will learn how to work the plastics. I was glad to see that the author stuck to shaping and manipulating the Plexiglas, leaving more room for projects.
This book will interest both jewelry designers and mixed media artists looking for a different medium.

One of the great things about working with this medium is that it requires only a few inexpensive tools to get started. Many artists will already have the tools; the only one I'm going to have to purchase is a cutter to score the Plexiglas.

My favorite projects are the solo exhibition earrings, the purse, and the notebook cover.

My only disappointment in the book was that the gallery didn't show items in more detail. They are shown life-sized. I'd like a couple of close-ups.

You can see I did take my own close up of the heart box pendant. This necklace is in the gallery section of the book. I can really get into making little "treasure boxes" like this.

Check out the book at Amazon.


No comments: