Monday, June 30, 2008

Tutorial Monday-Sharilyn Miller

In my seemingly never-ending quest to impose structure on my blog here is the inaugural post of Tutorial Monday. Eventually I might write some tutorials of my own, but right now I'll be reviewing other's tutorials. These will range from intensive DVD workshops, to down loadable PDF tutorials, on-line tutorials, video tutorials and everything in between. Many will be jewelry tutorials but some will cover other interesting subjects.

First up will be
Sharilyn Miller. Sharilyn Miller is the author of several books, including Bead on A Wire, arguably the best wire jewelry book around. Sharilyn has published four DVDs:
  1. Tribal Treasures Bracelet Workshop


  2. Rings of Beauty Workshop


  3. Bohemian Bangles Workshop


  4. Ethnic Style Jewelry Workshop

These are all reasonably priced through Film Baby at the links above. Current prices range from $29.95 to $39.95. You would pay much more for a workshop, and this is in essence a workshop on DVD. The DVDs range in length from 2.5 hours to 4 hours. If you search Sharilyn Miller's name at the Film Baby website some bundled offers will come up allowing you to buy more than one DVD at reduced rates.



Here are two silver rings I did from Rings of Beauty Workshop. (The top ring is an heirloom turquoise ring that was a gift from my mother-in-law.) The middle spiral ring has been antiqued with silver black. The bottom ring has a Swarovski crystal in it. I had a lot of fun making these. These are only two of the many designs featured on Rings of Beauty Workshop.

I also have some pics up of some copper rings I did. See them here.

I have the Rings of Beauty Workshop, and the Bohemian Bangles Workshop DVDs and have just ordered the new release: Ethnic Style Jewelry Workshop. The DVDs are filmed over Sharilyn's shoulder, so you have a clear close-up view of what she's doing. It very easy to follow the directions. Each DVD contains extra material on various subjects such as antiquing the finish of your jewelry, using the tumbler, polishing, etc. I'm very impressed with the level of detail in the DVDs. Sharilyn goes into enough detail that even beginners will be able to use the DVDs. Each DVD is broken down into sections, so you can easily review just the parts you need. I liked these so well that I actually bought a portable DVD player so I could watch them in my workroom, or any place else I want to work.

Sharilyn also has a great website. Her teaching schedule is posted there. She has a new blog. Her Yahoo group, Bead on a Wire, is my favorite email list.

No comments: